What will you do differently in 2018 because of a lesson you learned last year?
I suggest that you find a quiet place with just a journal, a pen, and a cup of coffee. It might also be helpful to have access to your calendar, so that you can review the major events of the past year. Now write out the answers to the following questions:
1. If the last year were a movie of your life, what would the genre be – Drama, romance, adventure, comedy, tragedy, or a combination?
2. What were the two or three major themes that kept recurring?
3. What did you accomplish this past year that you are the most proud of? These can be in any area of your life—spiritual, relational, vocational physical, etc. Be as specific as possible.
4. What do you feel you should have been acknowledged for but weren’t?
5. What disappointments or regrets did you experience this past year? As leaders, we naturally have high expectations of ourselves and others. Where did you let yourself down? Where did you let others down?
6. What was missing from last year as you look back? Again, look at each major area of your life. Don’t focus now on having to do anything about it. For now, just list each item.
7. What were the major life-lessons you learned this past year? Boil this down to a few short statements.
Happy New Year, Now go be great in 2018